We can no longer imagine life without electricity, and we only really notice its absence when electrical equipment stops working. One of the most common reasons for defects in sensitive devices is overvoltage.
The causes of overvoltage are primarily:
- direct lightning strikes,
- indirect lightning strikes, and/or strikes in the vicinity of a building/facility (an impact can have an effect on installations up to 1.5 km distant),
- switching operations (overvoltage due to the users’ switching on an off their devices),
- faults in energy systems (line-to-earth faults),
- induction interference, and
- a contact between power supply and data connections (in any such event the equipment may suffer severe damage).
Overvoltage protection in the electrical energy network is carried out at several levels. It starts with the installation of appropriate overvoltage arresters at various points in the network and at various voltage levels.
By installing the appropriate elements into transformer stations and the low voltage network, Elektro Ljubljana, as the power distribution enterprise, provides suitable protection of the connection lines to premises.
However, such protection without the correctly selected, co-ordinated and expertly installed overvoltage protection cannot ensure the appropriate safety of sensitive electronic devices – such as TVs, computers and other appliances – which we use every day in our homes.
Do you have an appropriately installed lightning conductor on your house or apartment building? Is the earth connection in good condition, and is overvoltage protection using an arrester operational and appropriately co-ordinated?
Elektro Ljubljana can help you find the answers to the above questions, as well as find some solutions to your problems. In relation to this, we offer the following:
- inspection of the existing condition of the overvoltage protection system elements,
- elaboration of a proposal for an integrated solution in the installation of overvoltage protection,
- elaboration of a proposal for the comprehensive installation of surge protection
- performance of works, and periodical inspections of overvoltage protection